Pages

6.22.2011

Thundercats Remake!

Remember Thundercats from the 80's? If not, here's a little refresher:


If that doesn't make you nostalgic for the childhood magic of 80's cartoons then I feel sorry for you. From the mid-80's through the early 90's encompassed the creation of the classics of the modern cartoon age. Duck Tales, TMNT, TaleSpin, Rescue Rangers, Inspector Gadget, Winnie the Pooh, Gummi Bears, Johnny Quest... I could go on. All of these were precursors to the 90's cartoons that were the staple of  most of the kids in my generation (some of my favorites: Pinky and the Brain, Animaniacs, Ren and Stimpy, X-Men, Batman: TAS). Arguably though, while these newer offerings may have been wackier or more sophisticated, none quite matched the creativity of those earlier classics.

As far as Thundercats (and a lot of those other mid-80's shows), I can't even clearly remember any of the plot points or even what the main storyline was. All I've got is a general feeling of "Damn, those were the days...". But one thing I do remember is when my Dad got our first computer in the early 90's and used what must have been one of the first versions of CorelDRAW to sketch me out a replica Thundercats logo which I promptly printed out on our high tech black and while laser printer. And damn if I wasn't pleased as punch about the whole thing. So, when I heard that Cartoon Network was running a remade version of Thundercats,  I couldn't help getting a little giddy. And after I saw the trailer I have to say that I think it has a nice modern style with just enough 80's flair to keep it interesting. It is set to premier July 29. Check it out for yourself and see what you think:

No comments:

Post a Comment