Pages

7.10.2011

Flight of the Bloodsuckers!

Living in the city, one gets accustomed to the lack of insects. Therefore, it's all too common for people to complain when a fly gets into their house or they suck up a gnat when riding their bike. It's easy to forget, especially for people who haven't spend much time in the outdoors or rural areas, that insects dominate this planet. We do our best to fend them off with our cities and insecticides but we can only go so far.

My Dad is working up in a mining camp near Kotzebue, Alaska and sent me this photo of the dominant species. For some reason I can't get Flight of the Valkyries out of my head... Give it a click to get the horrific, full-size version.

Yes, those are all Mosquitoes.
So, next time you are annoyed by an insect, remember my constant credo: It can always be worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment